Organisations are facing unprecedented challenges during the #covid pandemic, particularly meeting the increased demands on their IT systems from staff who are reliant on remote working. It is essential to keep focussed on data protection – here are some suggestions you might like to consider:
- Have clear policies, procedures and guidance for staff who are working remotely.
- Use the most up-to-date version of your remote access solution.
- Only allow remote access to your systems for staff who need it.
- Insist on the use of unique and complex passwords and multi-factor authentication where possible.
- Set screen locks after a period of inactivity.
- Set an automatic ‘lock-out’ on user accounts after a set number of failed login attempts.
- Secure your Cloud storage so that it is not accessible without a username and password.
- Don’t let your staff use their private email or messaging accounts for the storage or transmission of personal data